It is starting to get chilly outside, and with that a lot of outdoor lovers like us could be tempted to stay indoors, but we know better, and soon you will too!
Installing an electric patio heater allows you to enjoy the backyard of your dreams all year long, even during the chilly months. The right patio heater will let you keep your friends and family nice and toasty all winter months.
There are pros and cons to electric heaters or gas heaters. Knowing the differences between the two can help you decide which one is the best for you and your yard.
Why Buy an Electric Patio Heater?
The main difference between a gas heater and an electric one is where they get their power. An electric heater needs to be plugged in to receive power, and a gas one uses propane or natural gas to run.
Depending on the heater you choose can also change the amount of heat it gives off, and how it can be used.
Here’s a table showing the pros and cons of electric heaters and gas heaters.
– Must be plugged into a power source
– Uses propane/gas
|– Typically easier to heat a smaller area, depending on the type of heater||– Typically easier to heat a larger area, depending on the type of heater|
|– Able to be used in enclosed or covered patio space||– Having a gas heater in a covered patio with little ventilation may be a fire hazard|
|– Depending on the heater may need professional installation||-Depending on the heater may need professional installation|
|– Typically more environmentally safe, uses less energy||-Typically uses a lot of energy/fuel and releases carbon monoxide into the air during heating|
|– Typically more lightweight||Heavy, and sturdy, can be bulky|
|– More expensive purchase, less expensive in long run.||– Cheaper on purchase and fuel is cheaper but more expensive in long run.|
|– Typically if there is a problem with a heating component the heating component can be replaced||– Typically if there is a problem with a heating component the whole unit needs to be replaced.|
Choosing the best heater for your backyard depends on the amount of space you have, whether you have a covering over your patio if you have a plug nearby for an electric heater, and the type of style of heater you want.
Below is a list of the top 7 electric heaters for social gatherings, or even just some warm “me-time,” in your backyard.
Top 7 Patio Electric and Gas Heaters
Each short patio heater review below comes with a one-year warranty.
- Electric Gazebo Patio Heater in Black. This heater hangs from the ceiling, has 1500 watts, and has three remote-controlled heat settings. A great addition to your patio, but won’t be in the way either.
- Gazebo Hanging Infrared Heat Lamp. It also hangs from the ceiling, has infrared heat, and works indoors and outdoors. It heats up to 15 square feet.
- Wall Mount Electric Heater in Black. This heater mounts to the wall also have a remote-controlled three heat settings and is a great heat source for your patio.
- Dual Bulb Wall Mount Infrared Heat Lamp. This one also mounts to the wall, with a slightly different design and infrared heat.
- Ground Cage Electric Heater. This heater stands on the ground and is also a very nice addition to your yard. It has a cage around it for extra protection, as well as it being waterproof and having protection to keep it from overheating.
- Freestanding Electric Heater in Black. This free-standing Electric heater comes with three heat settings, raises up to 79″ and has overheating protection.
- Tall Adjustable Infrared Heat Lamp with LED Lights. This stainless steel electric heater works indoors and outdoors, is adjustable to 5 to 7 feet, and comes with a wall mount.
Choosing a heater depends on the space you have available, what you are using it for, and what type you want. Do you want one that mounts to the wall? Hangs from the ceiling? Or stands on the ground? There are tabletop heaters or heaters that can blend in with other furniture. The quality and performance of a heater will play a role in the decision as well. The right heater will help your backyard be cozy and warm even during the cold seasons.
Do you have kids? The safer (and maybe more out of the way) heaters might be best in that case. How big is your patio or yard space where the heater will go? Are there outlets available for plugs if you buy an electric heater? Do you have a specific design or style in mind you want for a heater?
Owning a Heater
There are some tips to remember when owning a heater.
- If you buy a gas heater, make sure that your patio is uncovered, or if it’s partially covered, make sure there is a lot of ventilation and be aware of possible fire hazards.
- If you buy an electric heater, make sure that you don’t put anything near it that could burn or catch on fire.
- Protect the heater. This may be obvious, but protect your heater from kids or pets that could break it, or get hurt from it. Heaters that hang from the ceiling or mount to the wall may be perfect to prevent damage.
- Know your space. Know how big the space is that you want to be heated. If the heater emits heat to 15 square feet and your space is larger than that you may need multiple heaters. Also, make sure if you are going with electric heaters that your space has an outlet to plug it in.
The weather doesn’t have to force the fun inside- heaters can be a great way to enjoy the outdoors but still stay warm during the cold months.
If you have any other questions about heaters, gardening supplies, or how to make your backyard even better, visit here.